Mince pies and Christmas come hand in hand, join in the festivities by making your own mince pies. There are many recipes online, however, here we will share one of our favourites and luckily, they are extremely simple.
Easy mince pies with crunchy crumble tops
- 200g apricot jam
- 300g dried mixed fruit
- 200g plain flour
- 100g butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 100g plain flour
- 25g icing sugar plus extra for dusting
- 50g butter cut into cubes
- 50g whole almond, chopped
- Put the dried fruit and jam in a small pan, heat until melted together and cool. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Break down the butter into small pieces and rub into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk, followed by a tbsp of water at a time, until the dough comes together – you’ll need 2 tbsp. Use the reserved flour to roll out the pastry to just over the thickness of a £1 coin. Stamp circles with an 8cm cutter and press into holes of a bun tin – you should get 15 from re-rolling the trimmings.
- Divide the fruit amongst the pies, then bake for 5 mins while you rub together all the crumble ingredients with your fingers. Top each pie with crumble, then return to the oven for 15 mins until pastry and crumble are golden. Eat warm or cold dusted with icing sugar.
We’d love to see pictures of your homemade mince pies, tag us on Instagram @home.at.halls.
The Home at Halls blog is part of our Home at Halls content, designed to make sure you get the most out of living across our Broadgate Park residences.
It goes hand in hand with the Home at Halls app, which can be downloaded from your phone’s app store and accessed using the details you use on the Broadgate Park portal.
The app is a simple tool which can be used to log any maintenance issues you have, sign up to any events happening around site and give us vital feedback.